Monday, February 7, 2011

The Snow White "Big Little Book", Whitman No. 1460

Before the general theatrical release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, its story line was adapted by Merrill de Maris and drawn by Hank Porter for the 1937/38 Sunday newspaper comic strip. This would be reproduced as a comic book many times over starting in 1944.

Yet, the first bound publication was actually the 1938 Big Little Book (no. 1460) by Whitman Publishers. Copyright Walt Disney Enterprises, 288 pages. Measures 3.625" x 4.5" x 1.5".



Image scans courtesy of Greg Philip of A Lost Film.

4 comments:

  1. What beautiful graphics!Do you own this book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I don't own this one Connie, but I too like the cover illustrations which are patterned after the original Gustaf Tenggren artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a large Big Little book collection! I even have some Mickey Mouse ones. I wish I had this one. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica-- I've seen this one on ebay a few times, but the affordable ones are not usually in too great of shape.

    ReplyDelete