Monday, January 1, 2018

Snow White Sabbatical

Image copyright Disney's Official Snow White Facebook page, February 2016.


After eight intense years of sitting in front of this computer, researching and archiving, I have decided to take an extended "sabbatical" from the Filmic Light. It has been an immense amount of work, yet a real pleasure too. What a remarkable opportunity this endeavor has afforded me, to connect with so many interesting and wonderful people from all over the world.

A heartfelt thank you goes out to all those generous individuals who contributed to this Snow White project. Without you, there would be no archive. Thank you also to everyone who followed the posts and shared their support and encouragement. You truly kept me going. If the opportunity should arise, I will return at some point to continue the documentation. But for now, I am content with what we have accomplished.

There will always be a place in my heart for Snow White. This character that Walt Disney brought to the big screen is the perfect embodiment of truth, beauty, kindness, and above all, innocence. Today, she is every bit the universal beacon of light--the filmic light--that she was back in 1938 when the world was on the brink of global hostilities.

The story is universal--the Prince and the Princess, the masculine and feminine, these two opposites that reside in each of us. When in harmony, they operate as a whole. What could be more powerful than to take action out in the world and all the while see it through the purity of childlike innocence?



If I've learned anything from doing this work, it's that the kindness found within in the Snow White spirit is still very much alive and well in the people of the world today--despite what we might hear to the contrary.

Be resilient...and remember to keep a yodel in your heart.

Heigh-Ho!
Robert

Why I like Snow White
Total number of Archive entries to date: 3032

22 comments:

  1. Robert, it has been an absolute joy getting to know you these past years. This wonderful blog is a testimony to your dedication and love of one of the greatest movies of all time! I am proud to have been a part of your journey and I look forward to many more great things from you to come! Enjoy your break my friend--it is well deserved! Warmest regards! Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael for your generous support. I'm glad we got to know each other too over these years. All the photos, all the info and little known details. I am honored that you shared so much from your collection with me. It's been a lot of fun. We'll stay in touch. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for all the years of hard work! The Disney community owes you a debt of gratitude for all your efforts. Enjoy your well earned break. And while you won't be adding to this site for now, the information and database you have created here will continue to serve us all well for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words 1937 Fan. And also for all your assistance with the Archive. Your help was invaluable. So glad we were able to connect online. Have a Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. Thank you Robert for this incredible work.
    All the best for 2018. All the best for your future Robert.

    Max.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a real pleasure Max. Thanks for your kind words. And for all that you contributed to the Archive. Happy New Year! May 2018 be prosperous and filled with plenty of fun too! :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you very much for your wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robert, due to some personal stuff, I have not been checking in on my favorite blogs as much as I used to. Now with the new year, I wanted to get back into them, only to find that you are going on hiatus! After eight years, I totally understand (I'm approaching 12 years, yikes), and had no idea that one could blog about things related to a movie from 1937 so often, but you found tons of fascinating articles, and of course the MERCHANDISE! How many thousands of Snow White items are out there? Holy moly.

    I will miss getting my Snow White fix. Thanks so much for all of your efforts, and best of luck to you with your movie project!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Major, you said it. There sure are a whole lotta Snow White items out there! She made quite the impact. Thank you for the nice comments and also for all your contributions over the years.

      Let's see what the future holds. Happy New Year! :)

      Delete
  6. Robert, I have also had some personal stuff that has kept me away for the last few weeks. I want to thank you for your continued effort at documenting "all things Snow White" and for sharing your findings with us. Good luck with your documentary! I can't wait to see it when it's completed. And a Happy New Year to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tokyo for all your help and support with the Archive. Your many photos from DL were always a pleasure to see and include in the posts. I'll keep you up-to-date on the documentary as things come together with it. Happy New Year to you too. We'll stay in touch.

      Delete
  7. Robert, I apologize for not posting sooner, the beginning of this new year has been a bit chaotic. But lately I realized I have been missing your daily posts! Thank you so much for injecting a daily dose of Snow White over the past eight years. It will be missed, but totally understand that it may be time to move on. I am so glad that we had the chance to connect over our mutual love of the original princess. Wishing you all the best and lots of success with your documentary!

    Elana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elana for all the contributions from your collection and also for your supportive comments over the years. Both were greatly appreciated. I'm glad we had the chance to connect too. I'll keep you posted on the documentary progress.

      Delete
  8. Thank you very much indeed dear Robert for sharing your knowledge with your fellow Snow-White-O-Holics I certainly count myself amongst this merry band! I hope that you’ll come back to Snow White in due course! Best Wishes in the meantime from Muir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Muir, You certainly are a member of our merry band. Thanks for the well wishes. Heigh-Ho! :)

      Delete
  9. This site has filled so much of my idle time just perusing your archive. I would get so excited when I recognized a piece of vintage merchandise or found out that Walgreens had something on sale now. Thanks for all your time and dedication! Enjoy all of your newly acquired free time! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just now found your site! I still have my original Snow White doll that I swear I got in 1955. She is marked Walt Disney Productios but I had no idea about this Deluxe Toy Creations! I would love to add a photo but I don't see that option. She does not have her original dress but she has one a dear friend made for me. I have many things Snow White!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Robert,

    Thank you for sharing so much information about my favorite Disney heroine. I have loved Disney's character of Snow White since the early 1980s, so this site has been a rare treat for me! I hope that it will remain on the internet for years to come, in order to inspire "Snow White" fans of all ages, because I, for one, truly appreciate the effort that you've gone to, with regard to this site.

    Sincerely,
    Peppermint

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful thing you did..ty

    ReplyDelete