Thursday, June 29, 2017

"Monti Carlo" Snow White Figurines

Snow White and Seven Dwarfs figurines. Made of polyresin (but with a porcelain-like feel). Muted colors. The princess holds a rose and leans against a tree stump. Base is dark cherrywood. A metal plate on the front edge reads Monti Carlo...Italy Style. She measures approximately 13" high, the dwarfs range between 6" to 7". Made in China.







Base plate: Monti Carlo...Italy Style



Oddly enough, an identical figurine has been seen online but with a base plate that reads, Monti Laide...Italy Style.




The Dwarfs.






I don't know much about the origin of this set. My guess is that it's patterned after the Giuseppe Armani fine porcelain pieces that were created between 1993 and 2003. See his Snow White work in earlier Archive entries.

3 comments:

  1. Well, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"! but ... I'll just say that "laide" means "ugly" in French! ;-) They've tried hard but not as hard as the Armani pieces which have the definite Disney feel to them! Might be a "bootleg" product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Probably a knock-off. "Laide" seems an appropriate adjective when compared to the work of Giuseppe Armani.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purchased this set in downtown LA (in an area known as the toy district (previously - now mostly misc items for small gift stores to buy). They came in cardboard boxes which I recently got rid of. Cheap china knock off and not approved by Disney. The timeframe was between 2003 and 2006. I had a gift store and saw these in a small wholesale store. Paid around $25 for complete set. But the store owner told me that they were not authorized disney items and to be careful selling them as such. I gathered that they only had a few sets.. I also know that they sold them separately as well and it took a bit of storage digging to find me a complete undamaged set. hope this of interest to you.

    ReplyDelete