Sunday, November 13, 2016

1954 Hachette Blanche-Neige Book

In the early 1950s, artist Campbell Grant was hired to create the artwork for a Snow White Golden Book (1952). His highly stylized imagery was distinctive and fresh. The book would be reproduced in numerous different languages and countries, including in 1954 by French publisher Hachette. It was issued in their Grands Album series. Here's a look at a few sample pages.

Front cover.



Front end papers.



Title page.



Sample story pages.



Rear endpapers.



Back cover.



The book was printed in Italy.

Illustrations and text copyright Disney/Hachette, 1954. Posted here for historical documentation purposes only.


Special thanks to Greg Philip of A Lost Film for sharing these images scans with us.

1 comment:

  1. I have one of the 1980s English versions of this exact book.

    You see, I have loved the story of "Snow White", in all of its incarnations, since I was a child, but my mother wouldn't let me see the actual Disney movie until I was a teenager (The first re-relase that arrived when I was a teen occurred during 1993), because the movie had scared the pie out of her when she'd been young.

    ReplyDelete