Saturday, April 19, 2014

"Vacationland" Magazine - Snow White Covers

Published by Disneyland, the 1961 summer issue of Vacationland magazine featured Snow White on the cover. Joining her were the dwarfs, a costumed balloon vendor, and a young park guest.

Magazine images courtesy of Major Pepperidge via Gorillas Don't Blog.


A similar photo, one that clearly originated from the same shoot, was used on a 1965 trading card. The card set was produced by Donruss (see earlier Archive entry). It's quite similar to the magazine cover yet different, including the addition of another young guest. And we can see the card image was also printed in reverse.



The only mention of Snow White inside the 1961 magazine is in the article, "The Happiest Show on Earth--Disney Cartoon Stars to Make Daily Appearances" (p.5). It reads:
Disney artisans have been busy as the Seven Dwarfs since the first of the year, creating - among numerous other show-stoppers - - the Seven Dwarfs themselves! (Along with Snow White, they're featured on the front cover of this VACATIONLAND issue.)


Eight years after the Vacationland cover had been published, a third image from this same photo shoot was used. It appeared in the 1969 Walt Disney's Disneyland book by Marty Sklar. 


Book image scans courtesy of Molly the Disney Freak via The Disney Freak's Blog.


___


In the spring 1974 issue, Snow White would again be featured on the magazine cover, this time with a young park guest in front of the Grotto statues. There doesn't appear to be any mention of the princess inside, though.

9 comments:

  1. I have an older Disneyland book that was my grandma's, and in it is an image from the same shoot as the first two in this post. I always thought the balloon vendor was an older take on the Prince's costume. Guess I was wrong! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of this book. Do you have access to a scanner that does 300dpi? I'd be happy to add your book image to this post.

      Delete
    2. I don't have a scanner with me at school, but when I return home around the 14th, I can get one for you :) Also, I'm going to get some decent pictures of those Seven Dwarfs plushes. I just don't have a great....place to take photos...Lol but I'm working on it, I promise!!

      Delete
    3. No hurry, no worry. Whatever you can do is appreciated. Thanks!

      Delete
    4. Thanks. So busy :P
      Oh, I'm going to Disney World this summer! I'm going to try and meet Snow White this time, and we're planning on riding the Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride!

      Delete
  2. Sorry that I'm just now remembering this, but my father has a scanner that can do 300dpi (or do you want higher?). What pages would you like exactly and where do I send the scans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 300dpi would be great. If you click the "View my complete profile" link on the side bar of this page, you'll be able to click on my email. A pic of the cover, title page and the SW page with the balloon vender would be good. If there's a few other SW-related pages, that would be cool too, but just do whatever you'd like. Thanks TDF! :)

      Delete