Thursday, May 5, 2016

1979 Viking Press 'Snow White' Book

Originally published in 1978 as a limited edition by Circle Fine Art Press (previous post), this Snow White book was republished with additional text in 1979 by Viking Press. Over 400 original drawings, sketches, and paintings from the film are displayed throughout. Mostly b&w images with scattered color stills. Hardcover with dust jacket, 228 pages. Dimensions: 10.75" x 12.375". ISBN: 0670653810. This edition does not include the 22-karat gold leaf highlights, red slipcase or four acetate serigraphs found in the 1978 version.




Embossed dwarfs and designs on front cover.



Title page.



Table of Contents. The story is told in text and images over eight chapters, with additional notes at the end about the illustrations and the making of the film.



A few sample pages.





Illustrations and text copyright Disney/Viking Press. Posted here for historical documentation purposes only.


If there is one complaint sometimes heard about this book, it's that the individual illustrations are not specifically identified with the animators and artists who created them. Other more recent titles on the subject of Snow White artwork have shared more information in this regard. They've also offered greater numbers of color images on higher quality paper. Nonetheless, this one still delivers in its sheer quantity of drawings. It's a book that most Snow White aficionados want in their libraries.

See the Italian and French editions in upcoming posts.

8 comments:

  1. I have this book! It was a Christmas present from my mom back in the day. I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly, but was there a deluxe version of this book that had some clear cell-like pages? Or was that perhaps the 1978 "limited" edition of the book that you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question Tokyo. There have been a couple other Snow White books with the cel-like pages that you mention, but I'm not sure if the limited edition of this one had it. I haven't come across the LE yet, but will keep my eyes open for it.

      Delete
  2. There definitely was a fancy edition that had 4 bound-in "sericels", with a nice slip case. The cover is fancier too, with stamped gold accents. I remember when I bought my copy of the regular edition, not being able to afford the plush edition as a teenager. Now that I think of it, I bought my book at an animation gallery... Ward Kimball, Frank and Ollie, and Grim Natwick were all there - I could have had it signed by those legends! What a dope I was.

    There are several copies of this (unsigned) edition on ebay right now, from as "low" as $339 and up to nearly $800. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Major for the additional info. Good to know that there was indeed sericels included in the special edition.

      Ward, Frank, Ollie, and Grim were all there. At least you got to see them in person. That's a cool thing.

      Delete
    2. Updated the post to include the serigraphs! :)

      Delete
  3. That's the special edition that I am remembering! Wow, Major....I had no idea that the regular version was that valuable. Although, I guess just because sellers are asking that price, doesn't mean they are going to get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that Tokyo. Like you said, asking and getting are two different things. ;)

      Delete