Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Farewell Snow White's Scary Adventures :(

As part of the overall new Fantasyland expansion project that's currently happening at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, it's well known now that the Snow White characters are getting a new attraction in the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. I'm certainly looking forward to experiencing this ride and its latest coaster technology...although it's going to be awhile before that happens. It's not scheduled to open until 2014.



Sadly, the casualty of this expansion is the closure of Snow White's Scary Adventures. May 31, 2012, marks the last day of operations for this classic 1971 opening-day attraction.

My first trip to a Disney theme park did not actually occur as a child but rather when I was already an adult of 37 years. Yet, the impact of that initial jaunt aboard Snow White Scary Adventures was nothing less than profound for me. Before this inaugural park experience, I can recall having viewed the original 1937 Snow White film only once...and I wasn't even able to stay awake through it all. But after this ride, I became what some might describe as a Snow White votary. The influence of the SWSA attraction (and of course the film) has been significant to say the least for me.

In this stationary video (shot from the Prince Charming Regal Carrousel during my February 2011 visit to SWSA), we see what an opportune time it always was to ride the attraction in the final hour of park operations. Attractive atmosphere and no waiting...


Things change and life moves on, but the Scary Adventures will always be a special memory for me. I will miss it.

5 comments:

  1. This makes me wish I had ridden it on our last trip in 2009. I think I've only ridden it once or twice.

    Still, I'm looking forward to the new ride. I can't wait until the entire expansion is done! I think it's gonna be great.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is going to be a lot of pressure on the Mine Train Coaster to make up for the loss of Snow's dark ride. Very sad, as the Orlando version was actually better in many ways than Anaheim's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I have said this before, but WDW has THE best Snow White attraction.....better than Anaheim's, Paris' and even Tokyo's Snow White attractions......and they are taking it out? It does not make sense! Seems like there are many other locations that could be used for their planned Princess meet 'n greet. In fact, don't they already have a courtyard that is being used for just that very thing on the east side of the Castle?

    I agree with Dave. They better make that new coaster a suitable replacement for the dark ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll all be watching that mine ride coaster closely. Can it live up to SWSA? We shall see.

    ReplyDelete