Friday, November 18, 2011

Grenada Postage Stamps (50th Anniversary - 1987)

On September 9, 1987, Grenada issued their collectible Disney Classic Fairytale postage. The 60-stamp series depicted scenes from Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, and Peter Pan.

The nine 30¢ Snow Whites were produced on a single sheet with each displaying the identical "50th Anniversary" insignia found on the Rendonda stamps in the previous post. The International Collectors Society created a Certificate of Authenticity to recognize the Grenada stamps as legal tender postage.


30 Cent Stamp images from the Filmic Light Collection.


In this newspaper from 1987, we read about the strong interest in the stamp release. The set was available for a limited time from the International Collection Society for $9.95 + $3.00 p&h.

[CLICK NEWSPAPER IMAGE TO ENLARGE]


________


A $5 mini-sheet stamp was also issued featuring the final scene with the the castle-in-the-sky.

$5 Mini-Sheet

________


In addition, the stamps were sold as part of a 6-lithograph set telling the story of Snow White. Each litho measures 13" x 10".






_____


Film buff and Disney collector Greg Philip has provided this alternate image of the Snow White Grenada stamps. Note that his sheet is identical to the one pictured above except that a different hole-punch machine must have been employed. The perforations continue out beyond the stamp area and into the border.



Also here's a look at his Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio stamp sheets from the same Grenada series.

12 comments:

  1. I still have these and other Snow White stamps! I had no idea they came with lithographs though. Congratulations on the blog. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Greg. I'd enjoy seeing what other Snow White stamps you have in your collection. Feel free to email me if you'd like.

    By the way, I just added a link to your "A Lost Film" site at the end of my Marguerite Clark post here: http://filmic-light.blogspot.com/2010/06/marguerite-clark-as-snow-white-1916.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll scan them for you. Incidentally, I'm posting rare Snow White memorabilia you'll probably enjoy next week.
    I took the liberty of returning the favor and added a link to your site on my 1916 Snow White post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the six page lithograph story, does anyone know how much they are worth? Please email me any information. Thank you. Carolgarrison70@Gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what the current value is. Check ebay for what similar listings are going for.

      Delete
  5. I have the lithograph set and I would like to sell it, any idea what I should price it at?

    irishlassie7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not an appraiser so I can give an accurate price, but the litho set has been seen occasionally, though not often, on ebay. If you connect with the right buyer, you should be able to get a descent price for it. Good luck.

      Delete
  6. I also have these 9 stamps. Hoping to pass them on to my daughters. Maybe someday they will be worth a lot more

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have apt of the Disney block of 9 stamps. All have the authenticity certificate with them. My holes don't go to the border tho like those shown up above. My holes stop right at the stamp. I have, Snow White and the seven dwarfs, 101 Dalmatians, sleeping beauty, dumbo,bambi, Peter pan,cinderella, fox and the hound,pincchio but I also have a plate block of 4 with certificate that's Winnie the pooh. but it is issued by Canada I really wish I new what all of these were worth, it's so hard to find some of these online

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite a few of these were issued. Not sure of what the monetary value is. Yet, it sounds like you have a nice collection.

      Delete